If you live in Southern Oregon, then you may notice that rodents are more of a problem than past years.
Trying to figure out how to keep rats and mice off your property and away from your home may leave you needing answers. There are a few things you can do to decrease the likelihood of rodents living in your home.
- Make sure that the food in your home is always put away in sealed containers or the fridge.
- Clean your kitchen and dining room daily. Make sure that floors and counters are free from food crumbs. Move the refrigerator and stove regularly to clean crumbs and other debris. Check the silverware drawer and cupboards for bits of food and clean these areas regularly.
- If your household eats in the living and bedrooms, talk to them about keeping food in the eating areas in your home. A household rule to keep food in the kitchen and dining areas will help keep rodents out of the other living areas.
- Take out your trash regularly and keep your trash bins away from your home. Use bungee cords to help keep them sealed.
- If you have pets, only feed them the amount of food that they will eat in one sitting. Feeding pets this way will limit the pet food sitting around.
- Rodents are also attracted to bird feeders and trees that bare fruit and nuts. Keeping the fruit or nuts that fall from trees off the ground will help you keep rodents out of your yard.
- Use rodent-resistant bins for compost.
- Rodents can enter your home via tiny holes. Walk the perimeter of your home to make sure there are no holes that are larger than ¼ going into your house from the outside. Seal any holes or cracks you have on the outside of your home.
- Keep old boxes or clutter out of your home and well organized. The more organized and clean your home is, the less likely rodents will have a place to hide and thrive.
If you need help protecting your home from rodents, or getting rid of rodents, A-One Exterminators can come to inspect your home and offer you solutions!