Unfortunately, rats, squirrels and mice get cold in the winter too, and this is when they are most likely to break into homes through cracks and crevices so tiny it seems impossible they would fit through, but they do! They carry all sorts of nasty diseases, plus – they can chew straight through wallboards, electrical wiring – and everything else you don’t want them near. Here are some simple, affordable ways to keep your home pest-free this winter:
- Store items in plastic and/or plastic sealed containers; don’t use cardboard boxes.
- Keep food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage on a daily basis.
- Seal cracks and holes around the outside of your home, especially around areas where utilities and pipes enter the building.
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around basement foundations and windows.
- Install gutters or diverts to channel water away from your home.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from you home and five feet off the ground.